A Collection of Plasma Writeups
These files have been converted to PDF (portable document format). The Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 3 or higher) should open and print them. The Reader is freely distributed, often found as a plug-in to your favorite browser. Users within Indiana University should find it on the IUWare disk or online.
Be aware that these are to be accepted as work in progress. They have not yet reached the state of maturity that would be expected of a formal publication. There may be errors, omissions, paucity of reference to previous work etc. All rights reserved.
- WnUpDownA.pdf (28k) An obscure data fragment, reported in the proceedings of the Non-Neutral Plasma Workshop, Princeton 1999. A newly commissioned diagnostic showed a strong plasma response for a frequency downsweep, and much less response for an upsweep. The explanation may lie in the BGK mechanism, discussed by J. Fajans, Berkeley, in the 2003 nnp Sante Fe workshop.
- Wave-particle Interactions (31k). A trapped electron plasma supports charge density waves whose electric fields can interact with a passing fast charged particle. This note explores some of the algebra and estimates the strength of the interaction.
- Beam into plasma - status(19k). In moving from an experimental program of fast beam interactions to slow beams, some technical details have to be confronted. This note gives a glimpse of the electrostatic element designed to convert a straight line particle trajectory into a helix in a strong magnetic field.
- Two Plasmas (12k) A tutorial contrast between a neutral plasma and a pure electron plasma in the same cylindrical geometry. In the neutral case, ions escape to the wall (sheath) or out the end (beam), while electrons in each case may be largely confined.
- Plasma Niagara (36k) A metaphor to aid understanding of a numerical simulation at the plasma-beam interface.
- Line source in Cartesian grid(41k) Deals with relaxation solution accuracy limitations and correction strategies, near the source and near a cylindrical wall.
- ConicalExtractor (16k) An improved geometry for the plasma-beam interface. The plasma chamber develops a planar sheath while beam passes through a hole with conical exit into an extraction field.
- PlasmaExtrusion (8k) A fragment on computational strategy when a Vlasov solution goes unstable.
- selfcriticismD (40k) A model for sheath properties in a 1D planar geometry is extended to account for the effects of acceleration and trunction on the velocity distribution functions.
- SphereGunC (40k) Equilibrium ion and electron density profiles in a 1D spherical geometry, showing how the position of the plasma surface is determined, and the sheath limit.
- OffsetSheetB (52k) Work in progress. A planar electron plasma in static confinement with an OCP uniform background charge to which a charged sheet has been added.
The pushbuttons below will take you to other parts of my website
created 23 July 2003, updated 27 July '03 by rep