Stowe, Chapters 16, and 17.
Problems: (to be turned in for grading
(before end of office hours,12:35 pm) on Wednesday, March 3)
- A6 - 1 An ideal gas with D = 5 (degrees of freedom per molecule) is moved slowly and smoothly along two straight line segments AB and BC on a pV diagram: from A ( V= 1 liter, p = 6 atm) to B (V = 2 liters, p = 8 atm) to C ( V= 3 liters, p = 4 atm)
a) what is the heat capacity per mole at constant volume for this gas?
b) what is work done by the gas in going from A to C via B?
c) what is the heat absorbed by the gas in this process?
d) what is the change in entropy of the gas in this process?
- A6 - 2 In the above problem , if the cycle is completed by returning from C to A, also along a straight line segment, how much net work is delivered? What can you say about the efficiency of this heat engine?
- A6 - 3 Stowe 15-10 (p277).
- A6 - 4 Stowe 15-11 (p277).
- A6 - 5 Stowe 15-13 (p277).
Reminder The second test in our course will be given on Wednesday March 10 during the regular lecture hour. This will be an open book test covering primarily the new material since the first test (book chapters 10 -17)
created 24 Feb. '99 by rep